A Simple Way to beat that annoying sun tan during your fabulous European summer holiday
Dreaming of Europe this summer? Ah! To walk down the Spanish Steps in Rome, climb to the top of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris and run with the bulls in Pamplona… But drat, when the sun peeps out, it’s sharp and all that sightseeing gives you a tan. Common sense advice is effective but somewhat uncool. For instance, you can use an umbrella but do you want to be seen walking down the Champs Elysees with a brolly? So what else can you do?
The Aussies down under have a 5-step mantra that’s worth remembering: It goes, “Slip, Slop, Slap Seek & Slide.”
- To start with, Slip On long-sleeved shirts and light cotton or linen trousers. If you prefer dresses, choose those with half or three-quarter sleeves, which protect your shoulders, the area that burns most easily. If you get severely sunburned, it’s wise to see a doctor.
- Next, Slop On any good sunscreen that is SPF 15 or above. What is not commonly known is that sunscreens with as little as SPF 15 are gentle on the skin, and give you an amazing 93% sun protection. High-SPF products require higher concentrations of sun-filtering chemicals than low-SPF sunscreens. Some of these ingredients may pose health risks when they penetrate the skin, and have been linked to tissue damage and potential hormone disruption. Some may trigger allergic skin reactions.
- The 3rd step is to Slap On a broad-brimmed hat. This not only protects the delicate skin on your face but also protects your eyes from the harsh glare. When going for a casual look, baseball caps usually do the trick!
- The next vital tip is whenever possible, Seek the Shade, whether it’s a tree or large bush or even the side of a building. Sometimes, just standing in the shade for 5-10 minutes while you re-hydrate with a cool drink can save you from heatstroke.
- Finally, and this one’s easy for all you fashionistas, Slide On a good pair of sunglasses. They don’t have to be branded or expensive but do ensure the glass is of good quality as poor quality glass can strain your eyes. Polarising lenses also work well in sharp sunlight.
And if you STILL get tanned, try using Tan & Blemish Remover by Dr. Monica MD, which is a Kaolin-based facewash, both during and after your holiday. It will help to gently remove your tan and gradually restore your natural complexion over time.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS !